Clovelly’s remembrance monument
From the craft workshops, visit Mount Pleasant at the top of the cobbled street.
Mount Pleasant sits on this grassy knoll, and is known locally as Peace Park. This is a popular picnic spot for visitors to Clovelly. There are benches to sit upon with spectacular views across Bideford Bay.
The memorial was erected by Christine Hamlyn, owner and benefactress of Clovelly, in memory of the village men who lost their lives during the First World War. The cross is a memorial to her nephew, The Hon. John Manners. Mount Pleasant was then donated to the National Trust by Mrs Christine Hamlyn in 1921, for the use of the village in perpetuity. Her gift is commemorated on a plaque.
With such wonderful views, Christine Hamlyn wanted people to enjoy this spot. Hence she created a small shelter, which has been restored. So visitors and residents are able to stop and enjoy views from there across Bideford Bay too. There is also a wheelchair accessible bench above.