The Lifeboat Station

The Lifeboat Station

The Lifeboat station is integral to the heart of the village. There are few safe West Country harbours between Padstow and Bideford.

Following a terrible storm Clovelly’s first lifeboat station was built in 1870. Most of the fishing fleet was destroyed with the loss of many lives. At only 33 feet long and built of wood, the lifeboat was powered through the waves by a crew of sturdy rowers.

The RNLI took Clovelly’s permanent lifeboat out of service in 1988. This rightly upset the villagers so they set up their own inshore rescue boat. Eight years later, the RNLI decided to return and started extending the boatshed and enhancing their inshore rescue service. In 2000 more work was done with great sensitivity to the location by marine architects. The completed building is the winner of many conservation awards.

If you’re hoping to visit Clovelly’s historic lifeboat station, it’s best to call ahead and check opening hours. Tours are available free of charge by contacting Andy on 07795654335 or at andrew_mitchell@rnli.org.uk – donations welcome.

Clovelly Maritime Festival

Sunday 21st July 2024

Watch the exciting Clovelly Cup yacht rally against a backdrop of live music, street entertainment, activities and games for the whole family. Join us for a day full of fun, all in aid of The Mission to Seafarers.